I will type out the verses, then open them up under the inspiration of God’s Holy Spirit who I rely on to give me understanding and wisdom from His word.
11. Let us therefore be diligent to enter that rest, lest anyone fall according to the same example of disobedience.
12. For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing even to the division of soul and spirit, and of joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.
13. And there is no creature hidden from His sight, but all things are naked and open to the eyes of Him to whom we must give account.
Let us therefore be diligent to enter ‘that’ rest, if you have a bible and open it to Hebrews 4:2-10 and you will see what that rest is. For those who do not have a bible handy, either digital or physical, this passage talks about the rest God had on the seventh day when creation was finished, when there was nothing more to do. As an aside for those who have an issue with the six days of creation and the seventh day for rest, and how long those days were, well there is no exact detail about how long each of these days were for God, after all He created the idea of time when he set the worlds in orbit around their stars, and when he separated day from night, made the seasons, set the moon in place to govern the tides, etc.
This the rest was refused to the children of Israel when they refuwandered in the wilderness for forty years because they were disobedient to the word of God. Just imagine a couple of million people wandering around in the wilderness, all bleating like a giant flock of sheep, any enemies would have been able to hear noise of their whining long before they saw the dust that was being kicked up (and I have Jewish ancestry, German Jew that was smuggled out during the Prussian rule, his son went on to fight for Australia in the great war). After forty years the next generation entered the Land that was promised to them by God through Abraham, Isaac and Jacob (Israel), and if the people had obeyed the orders given by God through Joshua after Moses’ passing, then they would have entered the rest they were due once the whole land, from the Nile to the Euphrates had been conquered.
But the rest that we enter into as Christians was paid for by the word of God that was manifested in the flesh, Jesus. This is something to wrap your head around, Jesus is the word of God made flesh, God and His word cannot be separated, and never have been until the Father turned His face away from His Son when He was made to bear all the sin of humanity for all of time in one moment of time for three hours on the cross, and the Father could not look at Him, because God cannot look on sin. Now as I was saying about God and His word, God is His word, Jesus is the word of God manifested in the flesh, which means that Jesus and God are one, Jesus is God, and when we accept Jesus as our Lord and Saviour in our hearts, we become part of Him and He becomes part of us, and we are seated with Him at the right hand of God, then when we are filled with God’s Holy Spirit, the fullness of God comes into us, then it gets interesting, Jesus in us, us in Jesus, Jesus in God and God in Jesus, us in God through Jesus and God in us through the Holy Spirit, the perfect triangle. But if we are not in Jesus, then God will see sinful us and not come near us, however when we are in Jesus, God looks at us and sees Jesus, then He is with us, and that is the rest we enter into through Jesus, who wouldn’t want that.
In verse twelve it starts by saying that the word of God is living and powerful, as I have already discussed, Jesus is the word of God, and He is very much alive, I know this because He has shown Himself to me, just like He is doing to people from different religions all over the world, He is drawing them away from the religion they are a part of, and drawing them into a faith relationship with Him, and that is the difference between Christianity, no not the religious sects with all of their traditions that keep people from finding Jesus, real Christianity where everyone who is in Him has a individual and personal relationship with Him, remembering that He is the High Priest of our confession (Hebrews 3:1).
The next part of the verse talks about the word (Jesus) being sharper than a two-edged sword and what He can do,
1. Separate soul from spirit, your soul is your thought process, imagination and memory, your spirit is your direct connection to God, a physical connection with God is not possible without our flesh disintegrating into atomic particles, your spirit is also where you emotions and will are. At the time someone accepts Jesus as Lord and Saviour the spirit that is the eternal you is completely recreated in an instant, all of your past mistakes, sins, misdeeds are erased as far as God is concerned, you have a clean slate, people might remember what you did from any moment in time before you committed to Jesus, but God doesn’t.
2. Joint and marrow, this is not literal, after all you cannot walk about if you are disjointed, it is referring to the things you keep hidden from others, your deepest darkest secrets, God knows them all, and from the moment you yoke yourself to Jesus, a process begins which sees that which is darkness within you being exposed to the light, and as we all know darkness is the absence of light and is destroyed by light, and God’s light is all illuminating, it does not leave shadows.
3. Thoughts and intents of the heart, as you begin to study, or simply read God’s word in the bible, it begins to cleanse you, from the deepest depths of you heart, every box, hidden corner and locked room in your heart, and over time that which your have kept in your heart that is toxic to your existence is washed away, but only if you let God do it, and as your heart is cleansed, the way you think is changed, priorities change more toward family, swearing stops, it becomes easier to quit unhealthy habits such as smoking, drinking, drugs, gambling and others, but only if you genuinely want to stop.
Verse thirteen is easier to explain, there is nothing on the Earth that God is not aware of, He is aware of every living thing, every spirit, there is nothing hidden from His sight, but there is nothing He can do for those who do not want Him in their lives, and there is nothing He can do about people who use their own free will to hurt others, He gave us free will, He did not make us to be programmable robots, each of us are responsible for what we do, not God.
At the end of our mortal lives we must each give an accounting of our lives, and if we are not in Jesus, our every action and the consequences must be answered for, and if we are not perfect, especially according to the way we judge others, then we are headed for Hell where the sinner is the BBQ, and the suffering there is beyond imagination, even the worst suffering on Earth is nothing compared to Hell.
Those who are in Jesus are judged for reward, this is due to being continually forgiven when they repent and ask to be forgiven, but any who have not forgiven everyone who has ever done them any wrong, even if it only an imagined wrongs, if any Christian has unforgiveness toward anyone when they die, they die a sinner and do not go up to Heaven, but down to Hell, because God cannot be in the presence of sin, and forgiveness negates the work on the cross and may be equal to blasphemy of the Holy Spirit by thinking yourself better than God and able to do the work of the Holy Spirit. So we had best learn to forgive everyone for everything, hold no grudges, let go of anger and love your neighbour as you love yourself, as Jesus commanded us.
I do not mind constructive feedback, I also welcome genuine questions, thank you for reading, thinking and receiving the blessing.
God bless you all.